When running Dynamics 365 for Finance and Operations there are some legacy software built in. These are packaged as ClickOnce applications and will be downloaded every time you run them. In Internet Explorer and the old version of Microsoft Edge this worked out of the box since these are .Net aware out of the box. When is comes to the all new chromium based Microsoft Edge and Google Chrome this is not the case. In order to get these working we will need a plugin installed in the browser.
For Microsoft (Chromium) Edge To install in Edge the process is almost the same as for Google Chrome but with an additional steps prior to starting
I am so sorry about the click bait title… I could not resist
Todays adventure consists of troubleshooting why Report Editor and Workflow Editor stopped working in our Dynamics 365 for Operations environment. First som history:
This all started in one of our environments where we noticed that Report Designer for Management Reporter (Financial Reports) was not working… after some troubleshooting we called MS Support and did two days of troubleshooting I got the suggestion to try this in another environment (I am a little annoyed that I did not do this before) and of course it worked. Well, that did not really provida a lead to the root cause. One day later I got a request to configure PowerBI in the environment where it worked and later that day once again tested in the “working” environment and low and behold… it did not work!!! What the_____? This got me thinking about what could have caused this… I installed PowerBI… could it be… Yes it could.
I remembered that I had read in the description of the PowerBI configuration that there was a caveat in the configuration of the Azure AD Application:
“App ID URI: This value is mandatory, but isn’t required for the workspace integration. Make sure that this App ID URI is a mock URI like https://contosoAX, since using the URL of your deployment can cause sign-in issues in other AAD applications such as the Excel Add-in.”
So I went back to Azure AD and I had unfortunately not done this…
I changed this in both environments and… Voilá… it worked.
Note: This has been changed in my original post on PowerBI