Todays issue is regarding AX 2012 Retail…
When I try to Process status messages under Retail – Inqueries – Download sessions i get the following error
First I found some hints online that it had to do with the Working Folders set up in Retail – Setup – POS – Retail Scheduler – Channel Integration – Working Folders. I verified that the settings were OK and then I set the permissions on the folders to allow the service account for AsyncServer/AsyncClient had full access to them.
That did not help… strange… so I thought that I really needed to verify the permissions… Process Monitor to the rescue
Apparently the changes I made did not propagate all through the folder structure… After fixing it everything is working nicely.