Todays issue is a problem with integrating Management Reporter CU 15 with AX 2012 R3. When doing the initial integration we got this error:
Invalid column name ‘PARTITION’.
Invalid column name ‘Key_’.
and the integration never finished. After doing some research online I found someone with this issue and the recommendation was to downgrade to Management Reporter CU13. When doing so we bumped into an error in CU 13 causing deadlocks in SQL. I called Microsoft support and got the recommendation to once again upgrade to CU15.
Here is a good place to insert some history:
The customer upgraded from AX 2012 Feature Pack directly to AX 2012 R3. Before upgrading from AX 2012 Feature Release to AX 2012 R3 we had installed MR CU13. In AX 2012 R2 Microsoft introduced a feature called PARTITION. This is used to be able to host AX in a multi tenant environment with isolated customers.
When installing Management Reporter (CU13 and Later) and integrating it to AX it creates three views in the database.
When we upgraded directly from AX 2012 Feature Release directly to AX 2012 R3 these views where migrated to R3 and when we installed CU15 these views were never updated (the PARTITION column was missing), Management Reporter just verified that they were there and thought all was fine.
Remove the integration
- Remove the three views
- Recreate the integration
- Enable the integration and sync the datamart
That is all for today
Quite ofter when I look in the eventviewer I can see issues that the Event ID text does tell me anything other than it is not possible to show the message. I got this today at a customers that is running AX so I descided to find the solution. The error message I got looked like this:
I searched around a bit and found a solutin online… turns out we need to create a registry key pointing to the correct file containing the event text. This could be a exe or a dll file.
Below is a link to the information and the entire solution. The short description is this:
- Open regedit and go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\EventLog\Application
- Create a new key called Microsoft Dynamics AX
- Create a String Value called EventMessageFile and add the following text:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Dynamics AX\60\\Client\Bin\Ax32.exe
Today I did an inplace upgrade of AX 2012 CU 8 to CU 10 and found myself having a strange issue. As part of the upgrade you need to complete a checklist including such things as Compile application and detect conflicts… and there is also a couple of times where you need to restart the AOS. When I did this the checklist disapeared and I could not find it. Turns out you can restart it by going to System administration > Setup > Checklists > Software Update Checklist
That all for today folks…
Today I am installing Security Development Tool in one of our lab environments. First of all you need to download the tool from LifeCycle Services.
When you have the file msi file it is time to do the install
- Start by running the msi file… this is an extremely short install which seems to do nothing… but that is OK
- When the mis install is done start Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012 Management Shell as an elevated user and run the followingInstall-AXModel -File “c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Security Development Tool\SecurityDevelopmentTool.axmodel” -Server [servername] -Database [databasename]
- Start the AX client and you will get a message that the Model store has been modified. Select Compile and Syncronize and wait for the process to complete
- When AX is done compiling and syncing start the AOT (by pressing Crtl + D)
- Browse to the Class called SysSecEntryPointmanagerSetup, right-click and select Open
- Restart the AX client
- When the client is restarted go to Administration and click Security entry point permissionsNote: You might get an error that the tool can only be run in Single-User session mode. In that case goto Administration – Online users and disconnect all users except your own
That is all
Today I am doing some testing and installing Dynamics AX 2012 R3… Here are some notes on the install (more will be added)
On my first test the install failed hard. It seemed that the install of OAS worked and that the rest failed… in fact everything failed. In the log I found the following error:
The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070422).
The error occurred because my lab machines has the Windows Update Service disabled… The solution is to set the service to either manual or automatic